Tuesday 17 March 2009

Sunset Behind Black Mountain.

I was in work this evening and when I took my 15 min break, I was awe struck by the sunset behind Black Mountain. It reminded me of when I was young and still living in Belfast.

I could see a part of Black Mountain from my back bedroom. I rememeber being sent to bed early during the summer when it was still bright outside. Even when I was five or six years old, this image always had the ability to take me away from my everyday concerns.

Reflecting upon this now, this was during the height of 'The Troubles.' Belfast was in the mist of bombings, shootings and punishment beatings. Of course, I was too young to understand what was going on but I did understand what a beautiful country we all lived in.

Human beings are very forgetful. We get wrapped up in our everyday concerns. Percieved injustices, extreme pain, betrayl, ideals and tribal politics can all distort our sense of reality in brutal ways. A societal beat can control our movements until we only see what we are 'meant' to see.

It is always important to look at things a little closer or try a different perspective. Sometimes it is important to unlearn the lessons of the past so that we can try to move in a new way.

Anyone for salsa?

No comments:

Post a Comment